Japan Day 19 4 09 2014

Well, we slept for 12 hours and woke up feeling great! My ear is still all sorts of wonky (the gluten/yeast allergy) but that was it. After we all took our times to get ready we finally headed out to Harajuku and Meiji Shrine. While we were at the train station I decided to buy a light sweater since it was still a little chilly out and I was wearing a tank top…besides I wanted to cover up the tattoos while at the Shrine.

We decided to go to the Shrine first as it was still a little early and most stores don’t open until around 11am. The gardens are so beautiful. There are pockets of cultivated areas nestled in what looks like dense forest. The pond was as enchanting as it was the last time we were there. The fish were bigger and more friendly. Monkey wanted to try petting one. However, they weren’t too keen on that and kept splashing around…but then coming back for more….silly fish. Mom wasn’t having as hard a time with her walker as she had the last time we were there so she wasn’t crabby LOL

We took our times strolling down the paths and took a little rest by one of the covered structures. A couple came walking by and Monkey spied the guy’s back-pack….it was an Attack on Titan bag…he also had on some wicked combat boots LOL We exchanged hellos and continued on our path. I kept stopping to take pictures when I noticed what looked like a bird, about the size of a sparrow, roughly 50 feet away from me. Of course I had to go get a better look. The little ‘bird’ had perched on some leaves on a tree a little higher than eye level. I didn’t want to startle it, so I took my time walking up to the tree. I was about 10 feet away when I noticed that it wasn’t a bird……IT WAS A (insert every explanative known…and unknown…to the human race…you can also include Klingon to this) JAPANESE WASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet Jesus I froze…..the thing was HUGE…and when I say HUGE I mean….I turned a shade or two paler. It’s head was the size of a marble. It was way longer than any of my fingers. I wasn’t scared….I was terrified! And what did I do….I went closer to get a better picture. Lucky for me, it had it’s head tucked into the leaves…I was wearing all black and those buggers HATE black. So….I can check that off my bucket list of things I NEVER wanted to experience…..

I warned the nice couple that we had met earlier to watch out as they were just coming up to the tree that the monster was in. They were eternally grateful and once they saw it, got the hell out just like we did. 

We were headed to Kiyomasa’s well so that I could take pictures. I  do have to say that the entire time I was expecting another wasp to come pay a visit…so that sort of took some of the magic of the well away. As soon as we were  done at the well, we headed for lunch at the restaurant. I had beef curry with rice, Mom and Monkey both had tempura udon. The food was every bit as delicious as it was last time. After we ate we headed to Harajuku and Takeshita Dori. However, while we were strolling out of the park, I noticed a group of guys taking some pictures on the stone bridge. We weren’t walking really fast so I had time to look at them and try to figure out why they looked so familiar….besides being non-Japanese. Then it hit me….one of them strongly resembled Jared Leto. I took two pictures of them as they were walking away because it took me that long to figure out who they may have been LOL

The streets of Harajuku were strangely quiet today. There were still a whole lot of people milling about, sight-seeing and buying goods…but not as many as usual. A few of the stores weren’t opened as well…I will have to figure out why. I was going to buy a watch at Putamayo but they were closed. So I bought a necklace at h.Naoto. Monkey and I bought some costume jewelry at Paris Kids and she got a new skirt at Body Line and then it was back to the hotel.

Monkey really wanted a PS Vita and they are cheaper here than at home….even with the new tax. We were uncertain if the Vitas bought here would be able to be charged in the States so we headed to Labi1 to get all our questions answered. We were told that yes we would be able to use the same charger at home but no they didn’t have the game Monkey really wanted. So, she got her Vita but no game. We headed to Animate to check out the games there. No dice on her game but she got the game Amnesia instead….of course it’s in Japanese so she doesn’t know what she’s all doing. However, she has cleared a few levels….

So now, we sit here in the room watching some tv and waiting for the water in the tea kettle to boil….I want oatmeal LOL

Tomorrow is our last day here and it’s a total whatever day. We may venture out to look for the Moomin Cafe or we may just walk around our beloved Ikebukuro. 

All I know is that this has been another fabulous vacation. I can’t wait to come back and to eventually move here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s